If you ask my mother, I’m in love with meatloaf. Especially when you pair it with mashed potatoes and corn. Mmmmmmmmm! What I love about it is that it’s a total comfort food. It makes you feel good. It reminds you of home cooking.
A majority of the time I like to experiment with different flavors and meats. I made a meatloaf a year or so ago and my husband loved it. After that, I’ve stuck with a recipe that’s pretty close to it (because I didn’t write down what I put in it… whoops?) and it’s been a hit since. I’m also a fan of making it in the crockpot because 1) I can set it and forget it and 2) my house doesn’t get super hot from the oven being on. But without further adeiu, here’s my (secret) recipe.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4-5 hours
- 1lb lean beef burger
- 1lb sausage
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sweet onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (any flavor)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Turn crockpot to HIGH setting and spray bottom of dish with cooking spray.
- Cut up celery and onion; place aside.
- Mix beef and sausage together first to make sure mixture is even.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the meat mixture.
- Form a loaf shape in the bowl, then transfer to crockpot bowl. Place lid on crockpot and let cook for 4-5 hours.
A few notes as to why I used the ingredients/amounts that I did:
- I use lean beef (90% or higher) because the sausage makes up for the fat content.
- I used wild boar sausage from a hog that my husband harvested. It was already seasoned with sage. I suggest choosing a sausage that has a flavor to your liking. Plain if you plan on adding your own seasoning to the meat loaf. Use sage or hot if you want the added flavor.
- Barbecue sauce adds a smoky flavor to the meatloaf. Since I add barbecue sauce, I only use one egg.
- I still add salt and pepper even though the sausage and bread crumbs have seasoning.
- I like sweet onion because it’s not as potent as yellow or red onion.
That’s it! I love the simplicity of it and how fast it is to make.